Tuesday, July 14, 2009


Well, for the second time. The first time we got married according to the laws of Mexico in a civil ceremony in front of a judge. We were well and truly married, but the majority of the people at our church didn't think that counted, so we couldn't live together until June 21st when we married at Dios es Amor. It was a very beautiful day, and we had many willing helpers, so neither of us felt any stress or nerves. We were free to enjoy the ceremony and the reception afterward.

The day before was certainly interesting. My sister, mother, brother, and I arrived in the morning to begin the church clean up. A few at a time, the helpers began to arrive. We commeced washing chairs and tables, sweeping, dusting, mopping, and re-arranging in the church while several other people in the kitchen started preparing the chicken for mole. Not long after this, the men arrived to put up the huge tarp and set out their tables and chairs.
All went smoothly for quite some time. Everyone was working hard but having a good time, and there was much laughter and smiling. Early in the afternoon, the sky began to cloud over, and soon the rain hit. Not just any old rain, but pouring, pounding, dousing rain sheeting down, and with it a tremendous wind. The tarp, which the men had almost finished putting up, lifted, pulling at the securing ropes, and collapsed.

We went into high gear. The men dashed around re-securing the tarp and cutting more holes in it so it would drain and not collapse again. Once the rain stopped, almost everyone emptied out of the church and kitchen to sweep, squeegie, and otherwise push and pursuade the water to leave the basketball court where the reception would be the following day. As I took my post by the gate to sweep the water into the parking lot, I couldn't help thinking, "How many American brides can talk about sweeping water off a basketball court the day before their wedding?" Not many, I bet, but with all the help, soon even this difficulty turned into a chance for laughter and play. The man and boys began splashing each other with the water, making the sweeping look more like a game than work.

The roads to the church flooded, and our flower girl couldn't come. Our ring bearer arrived an hour late with his family, but that wasn't a problem, because the man officiating hadn't come either. Although the rehearsal was supposed to start at 4, we didn't begin until around 5:30. Stressful? Not really. We had plenty to laugh about then too. My brother and sister opted to go barefoot rather than wear sopping tennis shoes, and everyone was wet at least to the knee. We laughed uproariously when the pastor accidentally instructed us to light the Bible on fire rather than the candles. I wouldn't trade the memories. Totally unique, and certainly full of family and friends enjoying the time together.

The day of our wedding, we had the almost glitch-less ceremony at 11:15, and it ended by 12:40. The guests filed out to the reception, the church's women's group along with Puebla Christian School friends began filling plates, and the men's group and youth group began taking traysful out to the guests. Abraham and I went back in the sanctuary for pictures, and then we "meeted" and greeted. Even so, we did have the opportunity to eat some of the delicious food before cutting the cake, tossing the bouquet and garter, and then leaving at 2 for our trip by van, bus, metro, another bus, and then finally airplane to the honeymoon in Puerto Vallarta. And we created plenty of memories there too. The story in brief is on facebook if you follow the above link.

No comments: