Friday, June 27, 2008

the absolute worst food I've ever eaten

I just couldn't resist. My Ontario class was scheduled to start at 6:30 instead of the usual 5:15, but because of traffic, I didn't leave home any later than usual. Of course that meant I arrived extremely early for my class, but better that than leaving later and stewing in rush hour forever.
I've gotten some good laughs out of the loco moco menu item, which, to be technical, would not be grammatically correct if it were Spanish, but still, the words mean crazy booger no matter what the grammar. With time to spare before class started, I thought it only fair to actually try eating this unique menu choice. You can see what the food was supposed to look like if it were made according to advertisement.

This was how it really looked...






It tasted even worse. The rice was the only truly edible part. I'm not sure what the meat was. Something processed that seemed to still have shards of bone - or at least something hard - ground up in it. I managed two bites before deciding it entirely inedible. The sauce was, to the best of my estimation, a mix of soy and teriyaki with corn starch in it. The egg was undercooked, and there were some limp leaves of cabbage thrown in for good measure. Let me advise you to avoid 'crazy boogers' unless that's the last thing left to eat on earth.

The Bowers Museum in Santa Ana has some of the Terracota Warriors on loan right now. The museum has this wonderful promotion that the first 100 people at 4, 5, 6, and 7 o'clock can get in free on Fridays. My sister, one of her friends, and I joined the line at 5:20. One of the curators earnestly wanted us to know we were in line for the 7 o'clock entrance, but we could get into the museum immediately. - if we wanted to pay $25 for tickets. No thanks. We chatted merrily for the hour and 40 minutes, and then received our listening devices and were let in to see, but not photograph, the warriors. Very fascinating!

Tomorrow I'll be joining a group of small group friends, and probably other people too, for the 30th birthday party of a friend, and then the small group friends and others will be getting together for a summer bar-b-q on Sunday afternoon. Fun times.

No comments: